New York City Blockchain Center
The New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) selected the Global Blockchain Business Council (GBBC) to launch and operate the first public-private NYC Blockchain Center. Opened in January 2019 and running for one year, the NYC Blockchain Center had three major objectives:
- Help entrepreneurs and enterprises grow blockchain businesses in NYC and beyond,
- Promote diversity in blockchain, and
- Provide blockchain education for New Yorkers from all walks of life.
To fulfull its mission, the NYC Blockchain Center hosted 136 events with over 3,000 attendees, including:
- Hack the SDGs – a GBBC-organized hackathon focused on utlizing blockchain technology to solve for the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Hack the SDGs was hosted in partnership with Blockchain for Social Impact (BSIC), NYC Blockchain Center, and NYCEDC, and supported by the World Food Programme’s Innovation Accelerator, Procter & Gamble, NYCEDC, Orbs, Bitfury, and JPMorgan.
- All Things Blockchain Conference – a day-long conference held during NYC Blockchain Week 2019, inviting top speakers from the industry for a series of curated conversations and networking with members of NYC blockchian community.
- Community Breakfast Series – a weekly breakfast series that provided a platform for in-depth discussions with noted experts on topics as diverse as tokenization, no-action letters, GDPR, and an entrepreneur’s personal journeys in blockchain. We even hosted a session with a cryptographer cited in three of the eight footnotes of Nakamoto’s Bitcoin whitepaper!
- IBM Developer Series – weekly workshops open to all developers in blockchain.