Global Blockchain Business Council (GBBC) was born in Davos, Switzerland in January 2017, created by a small group of blockchain and crypto entrepreneurs, investors, and builders. Born was ‘Crypto Davos’. Despite its outsider status, GBBC and its peers have influenced and changed the course of mainstream Davos on the Promenade. By 2019, CNN Switzerland and other media outlets pointed to ‘real tech innovation happening’ on the Promenade.
Fast-forward six years to the present day: GBBC represents more than 500 institutional members, 231 Ambassadors across 109 jurisdictions and disciplines. Growth driven by both organic and merger activity, GBBC has embarked on strategic mergers that resulted in initiatives designed to navigate the ever-growing demands of an ever-evolving emerging technology:
- September 2018: GBBC Merges with Post Trade Distributed Ledger Group (PTDL)
- January 2019: GBBC Launches 1-Year Pilot of NYC Blockchain Center with New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC)
- July 2021: GBBC Launches GBBC Giving, Acquiring LA Blockchain Lab
- September 2021: GBBC Merges with InterWork Alliance (IWA)
- May 2022: GBBC Merges with Global Digital Finance (GDF), Establishing GBBC Digital Finance(GDF)
- July 2023: GBBC Merges with BITA Standards Council (BITA)
Today, GBBC remains firmly dedicated to furthering the adoption of blockchain technology by convening regulators, business leaders, and global changemakers to foster collaboration and advance dialogue to create more secure, equitable, and functional societies in a multi-stakeholder world. Education, partnership, and advocacy remain our bedrock pillars of focus for our growing, global community of bright minds and good hearts.
Access GBBC CEO Sandra Ri’s Op-Ed on ‘Crypto Davos’ on CoinDesk: Storming the Gates: How ‘Crypto Davos’ Became a Thing – CoinDesk
Download GBBC’s infographic, “Outsider Beginnings and a Moonshot Vision: A Brief History”: https://gbbcouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/GBBC-A-Brief-History.pdf